Toluca Gringa

8,700 feet does more than simply turn you into a cheap date

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Saturday I was nearly struck by lightening. I saw the bolt on a nearby pyramid at the ruins of Teotenango and felt a surge of electricity enter through my feet, rattling my bones and tingling my fingertips for several minutes. My first thought was that I had angered the gods. [Quick mental inventory -- was it the fact that I had strolled the cemetary, taking photos of the crumbling headstones and peeking inside the cracked tombs? Maybe I was cursed by the blind indigenous woman whose photo I snapped without asking. Or maybe it was the fact that I had been drinking entirely too much tequila and shitty Mexican wine the night before. ] I apologized for all my possible wrongdoings and continued roaming the ruins, strands of hair still gravitating aloft from the surge, taking my time on the tiny steep steps to the top. Teotenango isn't as impressive as other ruins in Mexico, but for me...ruins are ruins. The vision of something that was built and populated more than a 1,000 years ago has always blown my mind. My psychic aunt insists that my soul is new, so this could explain my dumbfoundedness at the sight of piles of old rocks. We watched the storm continue on the village below and returned later to drink fresh pineapple juice ruined by two pinches of chili pepper.











Here's a photo of my capoeira instructor (with calzones showing) playing capoeira in Parque Arawal a few Saturdays ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home